Tianjin
So, I realized I really haven't talked to much about what I actually do everyday or for that matter what that main city I am staying in is like. Tianjin is my home over...and I can say that when we go places such as XiAn, we got back and realized it did kinda feel like home. I can't imagine how it will feel when we really get back home, but anyways...Tianjin, despite the dirt everywhere, the millions of bikes and people, and the squatter toilets...I must say I am pretty happy. I am not to homesick although I mean I miss everyone, but I feel like I am not wishing my trip away at all...
So, my dorm...well it is called a hotel..but it is a dorm.. At first..not even cleaned before we came.. I kinda freaked out.. but since then it has become my place for rest...most definitely!! You would never believe how hard my bed was....but now some how it has become comfortable and very useful for those naps! Our view is awesome, we look out over one of the main roads of Tianjin, so we see tons of people and the canal next to it... across the street is a middle school and of all things a TGIFridays.. weird.. We can also see a huge ferris wheel and bungy jumping thing..as well as a huge TV needle...reminds me of Seattle..We are lucky to have a balcony to relax on consider many of the others in our group face construct workers that work throughout the night! I have gotten used to the honking of horns all day, all night.
Almost everyday, I have class in the morning from 8 to 11:40am, but with a total of 40 minute break ineptness all of our four parts of class. Class was challenging at first..considering one of our two professor speaks only Chinese in our class. But NOW.. I actually understand and am not frustrated. I feel like my Chinese has improved.. I hope it has considering we have class and then we have been paired with a different tutor every week. The tutors are really fun because not only are they teaching us, but they take us to very neat places around the city. For example, they have taken us to all the markets to bargain down sellers as well as the zoo and their huge ten story bookstore.. what else.. authentic restaurants, museums, and much more. So, we have learned lots and done lots around here. I am truly happy that we have met these students because it will be a great way to stay involved in speaking and using Chinese when we keep in contact with them.
Homework is actually not bad.. I don't think I spend more than an hour studying... if that even for tests. The practice everyday helps I think...
Other then school related things.. we do a lot of shopping, walking and just exploring of the city when we are not traveling around China. The people stare, try to sell anything, sell chocolate popcorn, eat tons of ice cream (odd), ride bikes everywhere, crowded buses, dirty streets...I probably have to wash my feet at least twice a day..smokers everywhere.. just a few things that stick out a lot to me. Buying things here is amazing.. I don't know how I am going to come home and spend money on food or anything because everything here is soo cheap. I will do a comparison sometime soon in a blog.
All I can say is it is soo easy to bargain them down and once you do.. you definitely pay the minimum you could ever think of.
Food wise...we have found a place of survival.. so yeah I love Chinese food but having it for breakfast lunch and dinner gets pretty repetitive after awhile.. so we found a definite hole-in-a well joint, that is the best thing ever!! I have never walked into a restaurant with a cloud of smoke in the air, French, Japanese, Chinese, English, Australian, Korean, African American.. all kinds of people.. and experience such diversity and comfort. It is such a neat feeling. A Liu.. our waitress.. lazy and fun at the same.. I think she is getting used to us.. It is such a laidback place.. and we can get anything we want to eat from Mediterranean food to a good ol' grilled cheese...which I had yesterday for dinner.. OH SOO GOOD!!!
I think I have covered it..

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home